Sunday, March 3, 2013

Banana sour cream waffles

The weekend is here my time to cook something a bit special. The hubby could eat sausage and eggs or bacon and eggs every day but I get tired of making the same thing time after time. So the weekend is my creative time. My time to spend a bit more time in the kitchen, a time to try new recipes that are a bit more labor intensive or something that you would like to sit and savor more than a weekday meal.

Today's plan was to make banana sour cream waffles with either bananas foster topping or sweetened strawberry compote. I slept in a bit longer than expected....so it turned out to be just banana sour cream waffles..lol. I didn't hear any complaints though from the hubby! Oh they made the house smell wonderful!! Not quite as good as banana bread but ohhh so close! Nothing better than a house that just fills your senses with the smell of food cooking!! Now that is comfort to me any day!

These waffles have a strong banana flavor that comes through but not over powering at all. They would make a nice base for any topping and I could even see them being used as the bread for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or if you are adventurous a peanut butter banana and marshmallow sandwich...I however am NOT that adventurous...lol

This is an incredibly easy recipe that takes no time to whip together and would be a lovely weekday breakfast that your family would love.

So enough of me rambling on...let's get in that kitchen and get cooking!!!

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg - separated (beat egg white until stiff)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter - melted
1 medium banana - mashed

Directions:

Heat waffle iron per manufacturer's instructions.

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl. Set aside.

In separate bowl, whisk together egg yolk, sour cream, milk, butter and banana. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended. Fold in beaten egg white.


Pour batter from cup or ladle onto center of hot waffle iron. *If the batter seems a bit too thick you can add a bit more milk to it to loosen it up a bit. I kept mine thicker as my waffle iron is a Belgian waffle iron with the deeper grooves so it handles the thicker batter. One thing to remember with this batter that I totally flaked on..is the sugar content of them from the banana. I normally just oil a paper towel and grease my waffle iron and well it wasn't enough. I don't normally like using cooking spray but didn't have time to melt some butter to grease it but the cooking spray worked well.* 


Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Remove waffle carefully.


I know I didn't plate it pretty for the photo but once the waffle iron gets hot and cooking it's hard to stop especially when the hubby eats them almost faster than I can cook them...lol They cook up nice and crisp and are nice and light as well. I hope you give them a try. Enjoy everyone...and enjoy being in that kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment